A forum for cottagers on Rice Lake, Ontario

You are not connected. Please login or register

Making an ice rink

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Making an ice rink on Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:13 pm

Started this on Boxing day... I hear there's rain coming so we'll see how it fairs bounce

View user profile

2 Re: Making an ice rink on Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:14 pm

This is so cool.

View user profile

3 Re: Making an ice rink on Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:48 pm

Admin

Admin
Great job....good idea to flood it out, that should put a nice smooth glaze on it.

Is that over towards the bay on the northeast side? When I walked across about week ago, that was the only part of the ice that felt a little soft, but I think it was mostly on the top surface.
Oh and for some reason, near our place on the point, we had some nearly open water near the shoreline.

View user profile http://ricelakecottaging.motionforum.net

4 Re: Making an ice rink on Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:10 am

We are in the marsh, looking directly toward Marvin's.
The ice had a bit of slush on it for a few days there. We think it happened because it looks like the water level dropped about 5 inches below the ice level. Now if you look at the shoreline around the island, the ice slopes down to the lower level. Or it could have been caused by water flowing through muskrat holes... whatever it was, it's gone now.
It's much warmer today, hovering right around freezing, and supposed to get warmer each day for the rest of the week. We will be leaving on Thurs for a few days, so I will give an ice update as soon as I can after we return.
Happy New Year!

View user profile

5 Re: Making an ice rink on Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:54 pm

The irony of adding water to the lake hurts my brain. I think Paul's actually making a winter version of a moat to keep me from tromping across his lawn. Smile

View user profile

6 Re: Making an ice rink on Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:57 pm

Admin

Admin
Has anybody been to the island in a truck or something bigger than a sled yet?

7 Re: Making an ice rink on Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:13 pm

Admin

Admin
Thewolfden wrote:The irony of adding water to the lake hurts my brain. I think Paul's actually making a winter version of a moat to keep me from tromping across his lawn. Smile
Haha...I guess cause hes just taking water from below the ice to above the ice, he isnt really adding water to the lake, just "re-organizing" it.

Did you have a good skate/game?

I remember a few yrs ago when we bought our place, we walked across the ice with the real estate agent...it must have been a windy winter, the ice was sooo polished we wished we'd brought our skates with us, as we could have skated most of the way there.
Quite an adventure... bitterly cold day, first the agent took us to the wrong island, then he didnt have a key to get into the cottage to check it out. Evil or Very Mad

8 Re: Making an ice rink on Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:39 pm

*Reorganizing* the water ... hehehe. So darn it all anyway Wolfman... how'd you ever figure out our 'mote in disguise' plan anyway??? Smile

The rink was great until this morning, then it sure started melting fast! And then this aft two snowmobiles kept driving across it??? nice eh?? Will wait until after the new year to put a new surface on it.

There were 3 guys in pickup truck that drove to ice fish about 50 yards off of the north tip of the marsh this morning. They were there for about an hour or so. There were also two guys driving around in an ATV, but I have no idea how heavy they are.

We're leaving in the morning for a few days. Will give an ice update when we return. Hope everyone has a happy new year!

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum